Saturday, December 22, 2018

December Daily-It's not always Merry and Bright

This week has definitely had some highs and very lows. I debated about whether or not to put these thoughts to a post, but I think it helps to me keep things in perspective.
Between Saturday and Tuesday I attended 3 funerals 2 of I did not know the individual, but felt the need to be there.  All 3 of these people left a huge impact on those they encountered.

A couple weeks ago I received the sad news that our realtor had passed away, Cary had mentioned when we began to actively search for a house that her cancer had returned, but I had no idea that it would claim her so quickly.  Our last text was in late August, and according to her sister she organized a family reunion out of state in October and by November her illness had taken over.  There were hundreds at her memorial service and many spoke of the impact she made not only professionally, but personally with her work with her son's scout troop.  She was a hard worker, and such a cheerful fun loving soul who will be greatly missed.

A co-worker's son had been diagnosed with cancer about a year ago right when he was getting ready to play starter for Vanderbilt University.  Turner became ill after his dad had transferred from our office, but we received regular updates on Turner's condition.  There was hope that he would get well enough to participate in an experimental treatment, but his health began to decline rapidly the last month or so of his life.  Turner was only a year younger than PJ, so dealing with this has been very hard.  It's not something you want to have in common with another parent.  Like at Cary's service there were hundreds of people that came to show their support for the family, and speak about the impact Turner made during his short life.  His parents work colleagues, members of the SEC Commission, Vanderbilt University, Virginia Tech and high school teammates of Randy [his dad], church and high school and so many others attended.  It was heart warming to hear the wonderful things that were said about Turner's character, his smile, and how much he meant to so many.  He made such a huge impact in such a short time, and it reminder me much of what was said about PJ.

Tuesday, I attended the funeral mass for a recently fallen officer in DeKalb Co. which hit close to home in so many aspects.  I have not attended a service for a fallen officer in almost 30 years, not because of lack of opportunity, but because of emotionally draining they can be.  Steve is wrapping up his 30 year career as a police officer and there were many days I worried about his safety.  I also work with about 75 sworn officers and have encountered countless more in my job.  Our office has a close relationship with the DeKalb Co PD, and I felt like I needed to be there to not only show support for the family, but also the 1,000s of officers and recruits who were in attendance.  Officer Flores was born the same year as PJ, and so a connection resonated once again.  The attendance included elected officials at the local, state and national level, and the one's who spoke did not use this situation as an opportunity to politicize the tragedy of losing this officer, but rather spoke to his sacrifice and how our society needs to examine itself.  No finger pointing-such a nice break!  His academy classmates of which there were only 4, including Flores, spoke of how his bright smile and sense of humor is what they will miss the most.  Again, another individual that made a huge impact on those around him in a very short amount of time.

It is not all doom and gloom for me this week as I was very fortunate to have some fun family things on the calendar to help me get over these sad humps during a time when it was sorely needed.  Sunday feature our 2nd annual cookie baking at Karen's lots of good food and company!  Monday after Turner's service I met Steve, Ron and Karen for dinner which was followed by an evening of jazzy Christmas tunes sung by Joe Gransden and his Big Band and featured Francine Reed.  So great, and the Roswell Cultural Arts Center provided a very intimate setting.  I'm looking forward to more events here AND it's so close to home!

Wednesday featured more food and music.  Mary blogged about our Wednesday at the Opera with a lunch prelude and cocktails afterwards.  These are some of the important folks who help keep me grounded and uplifted.  As I journal each morning to remember those who need an extra prayer and thought of encouragement.  I am reminded of how lucky I am, that there are those who are suffering a great loss this holiday season, and to extend peace, grace and mercy to those around me.  Finally, take nothing for granted and see each day as a gift. 

Sophie and I have completed our 3.5 mile exploration, and I am off shortly to visit with my dad's oldest sister and my 2 oldest female cousins then hopefully a car wash/detail and getting my hair done.  Dinner will definitely be snacks and a glass of wine-here's to more merry!

2 comments:

Mary said...

oh December can be such a tough time ... but sharing grief and remembering the good helps. Hugs, dear Lydia, and all many wishes for Merry & Bright! xxoo.

AsKatKnits said...

This post is so lovely, and most true. Life is joy and sorrow - and a good reminder that without sorrow, joy is diminished. I am so sorry for the loss of these people and will hold their families close in thought.