Friday, December 7, 2018

December Daily- Cheers and Cheerful Greetings

At lunch I went to Tuesday Morning [again], I was hoping to find a tree topper and candles for the mantle, but didn't see anything that would work.  The other day I saw some lovely Spode China Christmas pieces, and sorta passed by as I don't really need Christmas dishes and having everything exactly the same isn't quite the look I'm going for; HOWEVER, today I saw the Spode stemless wine glasses and my resistance failed me.  I also saw a regular glass in the same pattern and decided I'd get one of each so I'd have something special to use during the holidays.  I'm sooo tempted to go back and see if they have a few more of both styles so that I can use them when we have company.  I can't decide-I did make a festive cocktail in the glass using my first batch of homemade gin. 
 Pretty tasty- the cocktail recipe includes:

1 oz of spiced simple syrup
1/2 oz of lemon juice
2 oz of gin
top with ginger beer
Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice-shake then serve over crushed ice. Not too bad!

The botanicals I used for the gin are:

2 T Juniper berries
2 Star Anise
2 Cardamon pods
2 Black peppercorns
2 cinnamon sticks
The recipe also called for coriander seed, but I only had ground, and wasn't sure how it would impact the taste.  I look forward to trying other combinations such as lavender, lemon and rosemary.

So far we've gotten 3 cards-2 have been from the UK-I love the stamp withe silhouette of the Queen and the other of the traditional red post box.  I hope to get some of my cards out this weekend, but we shall see- I need to do some baking and hopefully some knitting.  Happy Friday and Cheers!

2 comments:

Mary said...

ooohhh that gin is perfect for the spiced mule - yum!

AsKatKnits said...

That cocktail looks delicious! And, what a find with those Spode glasses!