Monday, December 3, 2018

December Daily-Road tripping and a new addition

when I found out I was going to travel to South Carolina to facilitate training I made a point of seeking out a place where I could get an ornament for our tree.
The pineapple is a symbol of hospitality across the south and the Caribbean.  Apparently in Charleston women would hand a pineapple, considered a luxurious fruit, to show that their husbands had returned home.  I had a vase [not sure if I still do] that had a pineapple etched into it from my first trip to Charleston.  I thought this ornament so fitting, not only to represent my trip to SC, but also the hospitality that I try to extend towards our guests.  After my training session I went downtown and explored the Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon, so interesting.  I wish I had more time, but since the parking meters downtown only allow you to pay for 1 hour at a time-made exploring very difficult when you have to dash to put more money in the meter before it runs out- ugh!  I saw Rainbow row, ate a delicious lunch and cocktail [I had the Garden and Gun], maneuvered cobblestones and rode back to my hotel with the top down.


Shrimp and Grits for the win!
























A lovely fountain by the Ashley River








I would love to go back and explore some of the historic homes, but for now I'll enjoy my pineapple ornament.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I'd love to go with you! (believe it or not, I've never been to Charleston!)

AsKatKnits said...

Oooo! I'd love to go with you too! What a gorgeous collection of photos! And, I love that pineapple ornament! My dear sweet MIL got me a beautiful pewter dish from a trip they took to Charleston. I use it often with loving memories of her. I did not know about that hospitality tidbit - thank you for enlightening me!