Saturday, December 1, 2018

Sunday morning exploring

Most weekends I take Sophie on a very long walk- we "call" it exploring and we usually walk 4-4.5 miles. Our route is pretty much the walking around Roswell that I did as a kid. Last Sunday Andrew took the dogs to the dog park and I asked Steve if he wanted to join me; I knew we'd go a lot faster without Sophie smelling all the trees, bushes and lamp posts! He was a bit hesitant when I told him how far we'd be doing and we ended up walking 5 miles total. The day started foggy-this is our view from our kitchen area.  Our tree is just to the right and I love that you can see it from the walk way.
Part of our route was through the Old Roswell Cemetery which was established in the early 1800s.  I have grand, great-grand and great-great grandparents buried here.  I'm hoping to get more involved in the preservation of this cemetery next year.  Love how the fog makes it feel eerie.


One of the Victorian homes on Canton Street, it has a lovely stone wall around it separating the property from the sidewalk.  It was all decked out with large sized Victorian figurines.  I tried to capture it, but I think I probably should have been across the street. I think this was built and occupied by one of the mill supervisors, but I forgot to take a photo of the marker for the house.  This street is filled with old homes that have been converted to offices and boutiques, but a few are still private residences.

Steve wanted to explore the area around city hall.  We had seen this pumpkin on a trailer on a side street near our house-so apparently Roswell does a Great Pumpkin thing-not sure how we missed it, but we will definitely be on the look out next year.  Steve wanted me to stand by it for scale- I'm 5'1 so-yea that's a big pumpkin!
We continued over and around towards Big Creek; this runs parallel to where the original Roswell Mill was located.  It is also part of the Chattahoochee River National Recreational Area and we walked along this until we took a detour toward our house.  The trees were so pretty, but I'm sure by now the leaves are nearly gone.


I hope to post more about our exploring and hopefully this winter won't be so cold and wet that it keeps us indoors.  There are several things already on the calendar of events that should provide enough blog fodder.

4 comments:

Lydia said...

test

Mary said...

I think it's wonderful you've come home again! Good luck getting involved with the cemetery preservation folks! (and fingers crossed I can post this comment without having to prove I'm not a robot - thank you!!)

Mary said...

WOOT! It worked!!!

AsKatKnits said...

I agree with Mary... I think it is very wonderful that you are back home! And, what history! Wow!