Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Hello 2019 and Hello to a very old friend

I got an unusual text early Monday morning basically asking me to confirm my identify by someone claiming to be an "old friend".  Needless to say I was a bit suspicious.  I responded that they had the correct person and then wanted to confirm where I lived- hmmm now it was getting more suspicious and the text-er wanted to stop by if I was free?!  Problem with that was that Steve and I were getting ready to leave for a party, so I asked him how I should respond.  Do I say we're not going to be home in case this was a scam?  I had the person confirm "Kim's" last name from when I knew her, and then it was like OMG turns out it was my friend from elementary school.  So plans were made for her to come by the house today, and we did a LOT of catching up. 

We haven't been in touch for at least 25 years, and it was great seeing her again.  I dug out some old photos and apparently we were in the same 1st, 2nd and 4th  grade classes.  I moved from Roswell about half way into my 4th grade year.  I've tried to find Kim's whereabouts over the years, but last time I saw here she had married a naval guy and I had helped her move to Maryland, but couldn't remember her last name.  I also couldn't remember the names of her parents or siblings and even the high school's Facebook page did not provide any information.  It would appear that we both like to cycle and making things.  She was always a great sewer and crafty-probably from her Girl Scout days, and her Mom was very accomplished as well.  We still have a ton in common and since she lives less than a 1/2 mile away; we're hoping to see each other more often.  I think this was the perfect way to start the new year- new starts and a new/old friend.

 This is us in 1977-"nice" outfit amiright?! I was rocking the bob look before it was a fashionable, and yes, my hair was actually very red-ish when I was a kid.  So my transition to a red head is not that far off.
So here we are almost 42 years later and I'm so looking forward to nurturing this relationship.

4 comments:

Mary said...

What a wonderful way to begin the New Year!

margene said...

Finding each other after all that time is a real gift. You'll enjoy nurturing this friendship and getting to know Kim all over again

AsKatKnits said...

What a lovely story and an incredible way to start the new year with renewed friendships!

Patty said...

This is the best Lydia! Wishing you more time together and friendship in 2019!