Monday, January 14, 2019

Crafting Plans 2019

Here's a aerial view of my sewing plans.  I managed to collect a couple kits several years ago, so I plan to start with those since I already have the fabrics.  I have learned that my best approach to quilting should be like my knitting-find a pattern first [except sock yarn] and go from there.  I am much more successful tackling projects this way.  Brenda is coming over next week, so I hope to she'll be able to help me with a few things.  She's been quilting and sewing for a long time, and has even designed some patterns, as well as, design work for Jacquelynne Steves -she is so very talented!


Plans include:
1. A Very Hungry Caterpillar quilt-I have just over half of the required fabrics and I did an on-line order for the rest and hopefully that will arrive by next week.
2. I found a skirt pattern I had bought a long time ago.  I hope Brenda will help measure me and between her and Mary I think I should be able to make at least 3 of these skirts.  Perfect for warm weather.
3.  A Christmas Tree Wall hanging
4. A table topper for my kitchen table [the red poppy fabric]
5. A small quilt using the jelly roll fabric
6. A larger quilt using the green and yellow fabric-I had all the fabric required for this quilt.-it's just a matter of starting it.  I have another complete kit in my stash that I'll save for another time.
7.  Another Christmas project using a panel and coordinating fabrics that I bought forever-ago.

I've also got a cross-stitch project I want to do-it requires a linen fabric, but I can't see the holes very well so I'm going to start over and use Aida 14 count and see how that goes.

I'm inspired by Carole's post about small seasonal goals, so while my list may seem exhaustive I think if I work on things slowly and with purpose I'll be able to get these projects to the point I want them by the end of the year and hopefully sprinkle in other small projects here and there.  I figure if I have my plan, materials, and tools that's half the battle.  I'm going to start by cutting the pieces I need for each project, label them and keep them handy so I can pick up a project and make progress depending on how much time.  One thing I really need to do is to improve my cutting skills.  Once my  new mat arrives I'll begin that process.  I can take the cutting to work as we have several long tables that'll make this job a lot easier.

I would dearly love to deplete my knitting and fabric stash substantially this year, and have completed projects as an end result.  I need to stick with projects that are at my skill level [maaayyyybe a little bit of stretching of those skills] as I'd rather do a few projects that are great than a bunch that are okay, or I'm not really happy with-so we'll see how all that goes-stay tuned


2 comments:

Mary said...

I love all the sewing you have planned! I can't tell which skirt pattern that is - does it have an elastic waist? I could use some cotton skirts in my summer wardrobe, too.

AsKatKnits said...

All this sewing looks like so much fun! Good luck!