Thursday, January 8, 2015

Rising to the challenge

I decided to accept the Book Riots Read Harder Challenge for 2015 that Mary suggested cause she always has such good ones!  I started January 1 with Jane Austen's Mansfield Park cause it was really the only book I had on hand that qualified for one of the 24 tasks.  Since then I've gotten books from the library and have begun a list of other books that qualify for the challenge.  I think it's going to be a lot of fun, and give me a chance to read some new authors.  So far I'm currently reading-

A book written before 1850-Austen's Mansfield Park
 
A microhistory-The Widow Clicquot by Tilar Mazzio-it's about champagne, pretty good so far

Written by an author before they were 25- The Mysteries of Pittsburgh-Michael Chabon-an interesting book, and was written in 1988 so it takes me back to my younger days.  Still not sure of the point of the book.

Recommended by another person-The Light Between the Oceans by ML Stedman.  This is also a book club read so that's a win-win for me!

What I've decided to read for the other tasks include:


A book written by someone when they were over the age of 65-Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard

A collection of short stories (either by one person or an anthology by many people)- - Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

A book by or about someone that identifies as LGBTQ- The Importance of Being Earnest or The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

A book by a person whose gender is different from your own- Lawrence in Arabia by Scott Anderson


There is an active group on Good Reads which has really helped in getting ideas about what books to choose.  Here's to a year full of great books.



 






1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm so glad you're joining in! And I can highly recommend the full-cast version of Importance of Being Earnest on Librivox. I "read" that last summer for Books on the Nightstand bingo and loved it (also, the movie from a few years back is excellent).