Sunday, January 14, 2018

Pass the popcorn



I don't get to the movie theatre often, but between recent my cross county flight and a 90 minute bike ride [indoors] yesterday I managed to watch 3, new to me films, and part of another one.  They were all very good, so I thought I'd share them here.

Goodbye Christopher Robin-I scrolled past this and didn't pay much attention until someone sitting diagonal in front of me was watching something that looked very WWI-ish and British.  I figured out that they were watching a movie about Christopher Robin of Winnie the Pooh fame.  What a great movie for anyone who is a fan of the story.  It was sad in parts, but well worth watching.  It's not on Netflix so I'm not sure if it can be streamed another way.  I love any movie that motivates me to either think or look up information to learn more.

The Mountain Between Us-this was recommended to me by someone who was in my training class who said the lead actor, Idris Elba, from Luther [a very good BBC crime drama] and Kate Winslet.  While the critics don't seem to like the movie much, but I enjoyed it as a change of pace from the more recent CGI films and there's a dog.

Battle of the Sexes- the story of Bill Jean King's career and her tennis match against Bobby Riggs.  I didn't get to finish this one, but what I watched I enjoyed so I need to find a way to finish it.  It seemed to do a good job of combining aspects of her personal life and her professional career and the issues professional female athletes faced during the 70s.

The Woman in Gold- I watched this while I was cycling.  I had previously read the book The Lady in Gold by Anne-Marie O'Connor and I had heard there was a movie, so I figured I had nothing to lose.  The movie's focus is the story after the painting was taken by the Nazis and the subject's niece [played by Helen Mirren's] desire to recover the painting.  I enjoyed the movie as much as I did the book.  If you like reading about art [and watching movies about art] I highly recommend both.

Now onto my amaryllis watch.  I took this photo last weekend before I left for Las Vegas.

Here is yesterday morning's photo shot and since there has been more opening of the center flower and more red is peeking out of the one on the right.  This plant must really like where it's been placed as it is really thriving.  The tallest plant is almost hip high on me [I'm 5'1" BTW].  I may have to do a mid-week update if this speedy growth continues.

I'm glad that I have a 3 day weekend to recover from my trip to LV-adjusting to the time difference was tough!  While the temperatures continue to dip into the teens overnight at least the sun is shining and there is a blue sky.  Hope this weekend finds you seeing the sunshine as well.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Christopher Robin is on my list ... I LOVE Winnie the Pooh and most definitely need this bit of backstory. Concur about Woman in Gold; I seen it a few times - great story and SO WELL acted! AND the first bud on my amaryllis burst open today - I think we're all going to have a spectacular show!