Thursday, July 20, 2017

Book Bingo 2017




I finally got BINGO after finishing Matters of the Heart.  So here's a run down on what I've read -

Small Great Things-Jodi Picoult-Protagonist with a different ethnicity from your own- this was a book club read and it got 1 star from me on Good Reads.  After our discussion I was not the only one who had the same thoughts on the premise of the story, so I didn't feel bad about not liking the book.

Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption-Bryan Stevenson-Sub-title on the Cover-another book club choice by someone who insist we read more non-fiction.  This one also got 1 start.  Just not something I'd choose to read, but since it got me a BINGO square-there you go.

The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds-Alexander McCall Smith-Story within a Story-probably a bit of a stretch by Smith's books always has "other" story lines.  I wanted to get caught up on a couple of his series, so his books will make a frequent appearance this summer.

Ruddy Gore: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery-Kerry Greenwood-Made into a TV Series-if you've seen the series you'll know why I couldn't resist giving the book a try.  It read very different than the TV series, and I don't think I'll read any of the others.  I like the TV series much better.

The Girl Before-JP. Delaney-Originally Published this Year-This popped up in my Overdrive so I gave it a go.  It tried too hard to be like The Girl on the Train.  It was just kind weird-but hey-another BINGO square.  Can't win them all can you?! [Audiobook]

The Importance of Being Seven-Alexander McCall Smith-Number in the Title-I just love Bertie, and the continued saga on 44 Scotland Street makes it a fun story to read.

A God in Ruins-Kate Atkinson-Free Square- I listened to this and enjoyed it.  I will probably give some of Atkinson's other books a try.

Sea Change-Karen White-Set in a Place you'd like to know more about.  Enjoyed the flash backs to the past in this book which is set in St. Simon's Island area which is in my home state, but a place I have only been to one time.  Although we studied Ga History in the 8th grade, I feel like I should probably know more about my home state-especially before the Civil War.

Bertie Plays the Blue-Alexander McCall Smith-Title that's a character's name- My favorite 6 year old!

Heart of the Matter-Emily Giffin-An author from the state where you live-I've read her other books and the first couple were good and then they sorta feel short.  I had hoped that this one would show that she had developed as an author, but it also fell short.  I'll admit I was a little disappointed.  Perhaps I should have read Mary Kay Andrews newest book-she's hilarious and her characters are endearing.

That's what I've got so far, and currently I'm reading Faithful Place by Tana French, listening to The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion which is proving to be delightful-and is also a book club selection. Also, I'm reading Mercy by Daniel Palmer and Michael Palmer which is a book club selection and I'm not sure yet where it'll fit in with BINGO right now.  So many books and so little time!

1 comment:

Mary said...

YAY! for the Bingo! but boo - seems like you've had a disappointing time with many of the books. at least Bertie doesn't disappoint. and I thought Life After Life (the one Atkinson wrote before God in Ruins) was fabulous - it's on my all-time favorites shelf (and in our Audible library).