Sunday, September 17, 2017

Alaska 2017|Small Plane-Big Views

I agreed to do a flight seeing with Steve during our visit to Talkeetna-when he first suggested it I was verrrrrry hesitant!  We booked through K-2 Aviation, and I have to say I'm glad I did this.  Visit the website to if you'd like to see what the flightseeing tour involved.  This post is going to be more photo heavy, and I have no idea what I was taking pictures of except that we were somewhere between Talkeenta and Mt. Denali.  Originally our flight was supposed to be 2 hours with a glacier landing.  The weather, which by Alaska standards was great, was still not good enough for a glacier landing due to crevices on the glacier the company is permitted to use for landing.  Also, the low cloud cover kept us from seeing the top of Mt. Denali.   It was still pretty cool, and it literally felt like we were gliding through the air.


Here's our plane and pilot- we flew in a Otter- which holds 9 passengers.  Our pilot has been flying for about 20 + years, and has been around small planes all his life. He's an engineer and winters in Arizona.  Apparently, in Alaska there are more people that have pilots licenses than driver's licenses. When he explained the 2 features of the plane that would help find us if necessary, and that there were emergency provision such as blankets, food and water, I wasn't sure whether to be scared or confident that we were prepared.
 Ready for take off-we all had headsets and could hear the pilot speak to the flight tower- no SOS's were secretly communicated to the tower!  Our pilot also did a great job of narrating the tour.  As with the other excursions we did, this one was very informative.
Ground control to Major Tom.
Truly stunning views- the terrain is so diverse and it goes from green marsh-y lands to heavy snow capped mountains.








It was truly an awesome experience, but I have to say when we landed I was pretty glad to be back.  We wrapped up our day at Talkeetna with another stop at the Denali Brewing Company before heading back to the train for the return trip to Anchorage.

Talkeenta is definitely a place I'd like to visit again.


1 comment:

Mary said...

I want to say YAY YOU for doing that plane thing (because there was no way I wanted Steve to go by himself and really, I didn't have the nerve to do it!) The beer was one of my favorite things about Talkeetna (and Anchorage in general :-)