Saturday, February 3, 2018

January highlights

This post started out as "Weekending" themed, then 2 weekends went by, and then it was going to be a Three on Thursday, then that went by, so now that it's February it'll be some highlights from January.  We'll start with an Amaryllis update.  These photos were taken the weekend of the 20th when Steve was in DC visiting with Andrew.  This has been so much fun, and right now I have a couple blooms ready to open and there are some that have begun to droop.



Saturday afternoon featured a cookbook signing at Vino Venue which was fun, but not quite what I expected.  I had hoped for more discussion about paring food and wine, but it was still great to support a local business and author, and I actually had a nice chat with 2 young ladies who were at the table with me.  This is becoming a pattern for me-- interacting with strangers at events I'm attending solo which is probably a very good thing-right?!
On Sunday, I treated myself to lunch out at Seasons 52.  I had a gift card so that justified ordering a cocktail.  This the Bourbon Blackberry Bramble.  Yum!

The day was so nice I decided to drive home with the top down.  We'd had snow/ice just 3 days prior.  The weather in Atlanta has been something else. 

Other highlights of my solo weekend included knitting and embroidery while watching endless hours of Midsomer Murders.   I love the scenery, and I find the bad acting hilarious.  I finished Taproot, a hat for myself using leftover bits, and I swatched for my next sweater.  The embroidery piece I started is a simple piece that has the image stamped on so I'm just filling in the lines.  There was also a good bit of reading-Celine by Peter Heller for Book Club and I started The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny.  

After my solo weekend the next weekend included my regular meet up with Brenda and I continued to work on this piece and it's nearly done.  Brenda never fails to inspire me and provide feedback on what I'm working on including knitting.  She gave me some very helpful suggestions on adjusting my Taproot and I think I'll be happier with the fit.  We enjoyed a nice lunch before we headed in opposite directions.

Follow up photo of the Amaryllis


On Sunday Steve and I went to see the next play put on by the Stage Door Players and we were a little disappointed in the script and plot---It just didn't seem to connect.  Afterwards we went to a restaurant 57th Fighter Group that has been around for decades, and it was such a neat experience.  We were able to watch a few planes land while we ate. 

That's pretty much it for my January aside from my work trip to Vegas.  Getting into a groove with my new boss which came on the heels of a 3 day weekend followed by 2 days of office closure due to ice/snow.  February will feature a visit to the hair salon, an outing with my mother in law, and a work trip to Columbia SC.  I don't think I'll have the energy for anything else!

What I'm really looking forward to is April because I will have 2 extended weekend trips, one to Beaufort SC with my mother in law, Mary and Karen and I managed to get into the this knitting retreat hosted by Ann Budd.  I'll be taking a class with some great teachers and I'm really looking forward to Savannah in the springtime. 

1 comment:

Mary said...

whoa, you've reminded me what a whirlwind January weather was (as did my one second video when I mashed it yesterday morning - yikes, snow?! I would LOVE to see none of that this month!) I'm really glad you're back to blogging and look forward to sharing some calmer weather with you this month!