Tuesday, July 26, 2016

"The" Tour


For the past 4 years we have actively watched the Tour de France and I have to say I don't know if I'm any closer to understanding this sport.  The TdF has been a recognized competition since 1903, and is steeped in tradition.  A couple years ago ESPN featured a  30 for 30 Slaying the Badger.  I was so transfixed I watched this TWICE!  Not only does this race require extraordinary physical endurance, but the mentality component-goodness.  This is a team sport, but one where you want the best player on the team to win, and it's your job to help make that happen-huh?!  Wouldn't that be like only throwing the football, or kicking the soccer ball to only one person to score-ALWAYS?  Another thing, the winner of the overall race is known or called before the last stage, and even that days stage has a winner, so there are 21 possible wins during the race, and an overall winner.  Hence it's sorta like NASCAR where you have points that determine your position.  Also, this happened in 2014 when the race started in England, and Mark Cavendish didn't even complete the first stage before he was out.  I thought this move was pure arrogant on his part, but there are those who disagree with me, mostly men, so go figure!  The photo above is of Chris Froome having his champagne toast as the winner at the BEGINNING of the stage.  I'm all about champagne toast, but shouldn't we get a little closer to the finish line first.  I think what draws me to this annual event is that as a cyclist, I can appreciate how difficult this race is physically and the difficulty of the course.  You can't beat the spectacular country side either.  Seeing this race in person is on mine and Steve's bucket list, and to see it wrap up in Paris would be the pièce de résistance!

1 comment:

Mary said...

I watch it for the scenery and the outfits when they award the prizes... but thank you for sharing the lesson... I learned something!